2017 is well underway. The media selections you make in 2017 will be different to 2016. Why is this so? The answer lies in the continual shifting sands of media usage, media consumption and the influence inherent in each medium. It fair to say that media choice is the biggest issue. Generally speaking there is too much media for the population and this leads to media fragmentation. Every audited medium that can substantiate it's audience delivery has a natural place in the media appraisal process. The question is which one is best for you?
Media Futures has compiled a quick check list of media categories and the status of each category going into 2017.
* Outdoor / Ambient Media continues to grow in popularity and with digital innovations is fast becoming a top of mind consideration delivering cost effective exposure on a regional basis.
* Cinema remains ideal for longer form messages/ lifestyle products/ in a relaxed and informal environment devoid of external noise. Cinema continues to provide an experience like no other will continue in it's popularity for specific brands and products.
* Social media has peaked and needs to redefine itself without the intrusion of continual commercialisation. Remember social media started as a non commercial category, it's just that everyone has tried to spend money on it or make money from it. Be aware of the subtle usage required to be truly effective.
* Online media such as websites are a staple product and have replaced the humble printed brochure to a greater degree. Spend time and effort of your website. You have approximately 3 seconds to gain attention , so make your website the best you can.
* TV Both FTA and Subscription continue to be a dominant force. Fragmentation of audiences need to be watched and follow individual programmes to track audiences by target. Despite prediction of a huge decline Tv maintains a dominant position.
* Radio is all about frequency and with mainstream free radio fighting it out with online / streamed services choosing the right station with right audience profile is paramount.
* Newspapers and Magazines are reinventing themselves and they will never be the same as they were. The public needs to recognise that they must pay for online content. The content provided is of a high quality and without a user pays policy, the content suffers.
* Direct mail remains a numbers game but is being over taken by online media.Still a consideration for localised marketing when aligned to specific offers.
* Retail media such as instore in its many forms remains an under rated category. The point of purchase is still the most powerful place for bricks and mortar retail. Worth considering when done well and aligned to shelf promotions.
* Mobile phones are a medium not a toy. This is in Media Futures opinion the hottest thing around. If you aren't planning for mobile then you are not in the race.
Media Futures has complied this summary as a guideline to Media 2017. If you are considering media activities in 2017 Media Futures recommends you contact an accredited independent media specialist.